Jul 19, 2024  
Butler Community College 2018-19 Catalog 
Butler Community College 2018-19 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office is located in the Student Services area of the Hubbard Center and is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday. A full service financial aid office is also available at Butler of Andover M-Th from 8 a.m. until 7:15 p.m., and Fri 10 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

For information regarding individual financial aid status and awards, go to www.butlercc.edu. Log into your pipeline account and utilize ‘FinAid Awards Info’ or ‘FinAid Eligibility Info’ located in “Student Quick Clicks.” For other useful links about financial aid, go to www.butlercc.edu and visit the Financial Aid homepage.

Students are encouraged to correspond with the Financial Aid Office through e-mail, at finaidmail@butlercc.edu. The Financial Aid Office will correspond electronically with students through their Butler e-mail account. Students who prefer to receive correspondence via the postal service, should contact the financial aid office to make this change. Students can do this by sending an e-mail to finaidmail@butlercc.edu that includes their name, student ID number or the first 5 digits of their Social Security Number (SSN). Students are encouraged to use e-mail as it is the quickest way to communicate.


Policy of Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

Federal regulations require students receiving Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, Federal Work Study, or Federal Direct Loans to be making “satisfactory academic progress”. This progress is measured at the end of each semester according to three factors: a semester and overall grade point average (GPA); completion rate (CR) of credit hours; and the timeframe allowed for completing a certificate or degree.


Good Standing: Students maintaining the following minimum criteria will be considered in Good Standing for Federal Financial Aid Purposes:

  • GPA: 2.0 semester and overall GPA
  • CR: 67% minimum, semester and overall. CR is determined by dividing the hours passed by hours attempted
  • Students must also be below the maximum timeframe allowed (see below)

Warning: Will occur when a student’s overall GPA and CR meet the criteria for Good Standing, but the semester does not meet those standards. Students on Financial Aid Warning are eligible for all types of Federal Financial Aid for one additional semester.

  • At the end of the Warning semester if the student meets the 2.0 GPA and 67% CR, semester and overall, they will be placed     back to Good Standing
  •  Students that do not meet these federally mandated standards will be place on Financial Aid Suspension

Suspension:  All suspended students will receive a Financial Aid Suspension notification letter with an appeal form at the end of the term. An appeal form is also available through the Financial Aid Office or on Butler Pipeline. All students placed on Financial Aid Suspension have the right to appeal except Terminated Academic Plans. Students on Financial Aid Suspension are not eligible for any type of Federal Financial Aid including loans.

Suspension from all Federal Financial Aid occurs when:

  • The overall GPA is below a 2.0 GPA or overall CR is below 67% or
  • A student on Warning or Probation does not meet the criteria for Good Standing
  • Previous Butler students that never received Federal Financial Aid and transfer students not meeting the criteria for Good Standing will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension with the right to appeal


Excluded Grades: Audit hours are NOT considered for Federal Financial Aid. Grades of ‘CD’,’I’, ‘NR’, ‘WD’, or ‘WT’ do not count as hours completed. A grade of ‘F’ may not count as hours completed depending on the last date of attendance in the class(es).


Remedial Hours: For financial aid purposes, GPAs are recalculated to include remedial grades. However, remedial grades are not included in the overall GPA calculation for graduation. Once a student has attempted 30 remedial credit hours (whether or not they received Federal Financial Aid for those hours), any additional remedial hours cannot be counted in the student’s enrollment status or cost of attendance.


Repeated Coursework:

  • Passed Courses: Once a student has passed a course with a ‘D’ or better, he/she can receive Federal Financial Aid funds to repeat the course one time, with the exception of withdrawn classes
  • Failed/Withdrawn Courses: If a student fails (F) or withdraws (WD, WT) from a course, which has never been passed, they can receive Federal Financial Aid until they pass the class with a ‘D’ or better


Transfer Credits: All previous college attempted and completed coursework officially on file will be counted when determining the student’s GPA, minimum CR and maximum timeframe, regardless whether the student received Federal Financial Aid for those hours or not.


Reinstatement: Students suspended from Federal Financial Aid may be reinstated in the following manners:

  • Submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form – the appeal form and any other appropriate documentation should be submitted with the initial appeal. Appeals can be based on adjustments to college and choosing a major/career, job-related difficulties, injury/illness, the death of a relative, personal problems, stress/anxiety, or other special circumstances. It must include why the student failed to meet SAP, and what has changed to allow the student to reestablish his or her eligibility. The decision of the Financial Aid Review Committee is final. A student may not appeal multiple semesters citing the same reasons and be considered for reinstatement. If the appeal is granted, the student will continue to receive aid as a probationary student. If the appeal is denied the student may discuss their denial with the Director of Financial Aid; this may or may not affect the final decision of the committee.
  • Self-Reinstatement – If an appeal is not submitted or granted, a student must:
    • Meet the minimum criteria for Good Standing – semester and overall 2.0 GPA and a 67% CR
    • If an appeal is denied, the student may re-appeal after successfully completing a minimum of 6 credit hours. The hours do not have to be completed within the same semester, but all semesters used for consideration must meet the criteria for Good Standing.

Approval is not guaranteed.

Probation/Appeal Granted: Occurs when a suspended student submits and appeal form and the appeal is granted. Probationary students will be eligible for Federal Financial Aid for one additional semester. During that semester if the student:

  • Has a 2.0 GPA and 67% CR semester and overall they will go to Good Standing
  • Does not meet a 2.0 GPA and 67% CR semester and overall they will go back to Financial Aid Suspension

A status of probation can only be assigned to students for whom it is mathematically possible to meet the minimum SAP standards within one semester. Students will be notified of any decisions through their pipeline account and postal service.

Academic Plans: Academic Plans may be granted for students who appeal their Suspension and it is not mathematically possible to meet the minimum SAP standards within one semester. Academic Plans:

  • Are individualized and are developed by the Financial Aid Office
  • Provide further funding on a term by term basis
  • Must be followed exactly in order to continue to receive Federal Financial Aid
  • If not followed, will place a student back on Financial Aid Suspension, Academic Plan will be terminated, and student is no longer eligible for Federal Financial Aid

While on an Academic Plan, a student must have a 2.25 semester GPA and 75% CR until they are back in Good Standing with an overall 2.0 GPA and 67% CR

If placed back on Financial Aid Suspension, the student cannot appeal again. In cases of extreme exceptional circumstance, the Director may approve exceptions. Once a student meets the minimum Good Standing criteria, they are no longer on an Academic Plan and returns back to Good Standing.


Maximum Timeframe/PACE: Students who have exceeded the 150% maximum timeframe allowed, are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid and need to submit a PACE Appeal Form for possible further funding.

                150% maximum Timeframe = Associate Degree:  96 credit hours attempted

                                                                              Certificate A:  24 credit hours attempted

                                                                              Certificate B:  45 credit hours attempted

                                                                              Certificate C:  67 credit hours attempted

PACE Appeals are:

  • For students with a 2.0 GPA and 67% CR – few exceptions will be made
  • Reviewed in conjunction with the Academic Advising office
  • Granted only for the classes required to complete your Butler degree/certificate (if approved)                                    

Students granted a PACE Appeal will receive a PACE Course Plan to be signed and returned before receiving future aid.

If a student runs out of fundable hours OR it is determined that no hours are needed, the student is not eligible for additional Federal Financial Aid.        

Scholarships 2018-2019

  1. ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIPS: Awards are to first-time, full-time regularly admitted students who have not attended any other post-secondary institution. Students must submit a scholarship application to be eligible. Scholarships may be awarded to graduates of either accredited or non-accredited institutions based on their ACT, SAT or GED scores. Graduates of accredited institutions may also be awarded based on their overall high school GPA including at least six completed semesters of high school. The seventh or eighth semester of high school can increase an award for these scholarships, but will not reduce an award. Exception: final cumulative high school GPA must be a 3.0 for students accepting both an athletic and academic scholarship. Students must complete 12 credit hours each semester with the required GPA to maintain academic scholarship eligibility. The following accrediting organizations are recognized: State of Kansas North Central, National Association of Private Schools, Associated Christian Schools International, Independent Schools Association of the Southwest.
  2. ACTIVITY/ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS: These are provided by various departments to students who wish to participate in activities such as sports, livestock judging, journalism-radio/television, theatre, music, spirit squad, dance team, and the Student Government Association. Scholarship selection and award is determined by the activity sponsor or division.
  3. TECHNICAL SCHOLARSHIPS: These scholarships are provided as an incentive for students who could not or would not otherwise enroll in technical programs at Butler. Awards are available for $265 for 12 or more hours of enrollment of which 6 or more hours have to be vocational. $132.50 is available for 6-11 credit hours of enrollment, of which 3 or more have to be vocational hours. The student must provide other costs themselves. Students can receive this scholarship for up to 4 semesters if they meet the following criteria each semester: 1 Students awarded a full scholarship must complete 12 hours with a 2.0 GPA. 2 Part-time students must complete 6 hours with a 2.0 GPA.
  4. BUTLER ACCESS SCHOLARSHIPS: These limited scholarships are offered on a first-come, first-served basis to any re-entry student who has not attended high school or college courses during the past 12 months, does not have a college degree, and is not eligible to receive a Pell Grant. Students must have completed high school in the United States or received their GED at least 12 months prior to application. The student is required to pay for books and fees; the college pays the tuition for the classes, for a maximum of 6 credit hours. These are one time, one semester scholarships that are non-renewable. Contact Financial Aid for more details.
  5. KANSAS BOARD OF REGENTS SCHOLARSHIPS: The state of Kansas provides various scholarships. Examples: Ethnic Minority, Nursing, State, Teacher, Military, and Career and Technical Workforce Grant. Applications and a complete list of scholarships are available through their website at www.kansasregents.org.

Academic Achievement programs and services help meet the diverse needs of Butler’s students. These include a variety of college credit courses, developmental courses and other programs and services that assist students in meeting their academic, career, and life goals.

Butler Foundation Scholarships

The Butler Foundation is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization that exists to provide support for the college. The Foundation solicits and accepts gifts of cash and other assets. The Foundation also accepts deferred gifts and gifts-in kind. The Foundation, established in 1966, is overseen by a board of directors representing Butler’s service area and is responsible for maintaining donor and alumni information. Disbursements from endowed scholarships as well as annual scholarships are provided to students and administered by the Foundation through the Financial Aid Office. To apply for academic and Foundation scholarships, apply online at scholarships.butlercc.edu. The priority deadline for all Foundation scholarship applications is March 1. All Foundation scholarships vary in amount and criteria. An overall grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale must be maintained to be eligible to receive a Foundation scholarship. An athlete must have and maintain a 3.0 GPA per Jayhawk Conference rules to be eligible to receive a Foundation scholarship.Visit the Foundation webpage at http://foundation.butlercc.edu or call 316-323-6731 for more information regarding Foundation scholarships.

Other Sources of Financial Aid

Veterans’ Benefits

Veterans should establish their Veterans’ Administration eligibility prior to enrollment. Contact the Veterans’ representative located in the Registrar’s Office in El Dorado. For more information call the Veterans’ Representative at 316-322-3102 or direct 733-3102 from the Wichita/metro area.

Native American Assistance

The Bureau of Indian Affairs administers programs of financial assistance for Native Americans. To be eligible for assistance from the BIA, a student must be able to prove that he or she is American Indian, Eskimo or Aleutian. An applicant should contact the agency which has the student’s record of tribal enrollment. The Butler Office of Student Financial Aid will work with each tribe on individual funding requirements.

CCAMPIS: Child Care Access Means Parents In School

(CCAMPIS) is a grant program for students that are ineligible for DCF childcare assistance while enrolled in classes. Eligible students are Pell Grant recipients, enrolled in at least 6 credit hours at Butler and can enroll their child at EduCare. Contact Sue Barrientos or Jamie Jellison at 316.323.6845 for more information.

State Assistance

Butler works with multiple state programs to assist many different types of students to overcome a variety of continuing education barriers. WIA (Workforce Investment Act) is one example of assistance. WIA is a federally funded program, which can assist individuals to attend school in a demand occupational field, within an educational program that can be completed in two years or less with an approved provider.

Another example is TAAC (Trade Adjustment Assistance Act). TAAC is a federally funded program to assist individuals that have been laid off due to lack of work from a manufacturing company who has a United States Department of Labor certified petition issued because production of products have been moved to a foreign country and/or sales production has been directly affected by imports from foreign countries.

For more information on any state assistance program, you can contact Accounts Receivable at 316.218.6201 for application procedures and program administration in your area.

Outside Scholarships

Scholarships are available from many different kinds of organizations, companies, churches, hospitals, etc. Some entities have scholarships available for members/employees and their children. Others accept applications from any individual that meets their criteria.

Outside scholarship checks should be made payable to Butler. The student’s name and Butler student identification number, but not a social security number, should be listed on the check and mailed directly to the Butler Financial Aid – 901 S Haverhill Rd – El Dorado, KS 67042.