Jun 23, 2024  
Butler Community College 2024-25 Catalog 
Butler Community College 2024-25 Catalog

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office is available to assist current and prospective students and families who are seeking financial aid to help cover the costs associated with attending college. A full-service financial aid office is located on the Butler of El Dorado Campus, 600 Building, Hubbard Center and on the Butler of Andover Campus, 5000 Building, Room 5026. Please visit us in person, or call El Dorado/ 316-322-3121 or Andover/316-323-6260, or email finaid@butlercc.edu.

An overview of the financial aid process, policies, and consumer information can be found on our website at www.butlercc.edu/financial-aid. For information regarding individual financial aid status and awards, log in to your account at MyButlerCC and select the Financial Aid tile.

Federal Financial Aid Eligible Coursework

In accordance with federal regulations, students may only receive federal financial aid for courses required to complete their Butler degree. Remedial courses may be eligible. Courses outside the student’s Butler Pathway will not be included in the calculation of the student’s federal financial aid cost of attendance or disbursement. Students enrolled in courses outside their Butler Pathway may receive reduced federal financial aid. You may check your course requirements by viewing your My Degree @ Butler through your MyButlerCC account.

Policy of Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

Federal regulations require students receiving any type of Federal Student aid including Pell Grant, SEOG, Work Study, or Direct Loans to be making Satisfactory Academic Progress. This progress is measured according to three factors: overall grade point average (GPA); completion rate (CR) of credit hours; and the time frame allowed for completing a certificate or degree. This policy is applied the same to all students regardless of academic year, enrollment status, or program of study

SAP Evaluation Points and Notifications:
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is measured at the following formal evaluation points:

  • At the end of each semester Fall, Spring, and Summer for all students who have a FAFSA on file. For student’s receiving Financial Aid, notification of any change to their SAP status will be sent by postal mail and Butler email.
  • New students, new transfer students, and students who are not currently enrolled at Butler will have a formal evaluation at the time the FAFSA is received. Students not in good standing will receive notification via their preferred method of correspondence either postal mail or Butler email.
  • All students can view their SAP status at any time in the Financial Aid tile on their MyButlerCC portal.

Good Standing:
Students maintaining the following minimum criteria will be considered in Good Standing for Federal Financial Aid Purposes. Students must meet ALL THREE criteria.

  • Overall GPA: 2.0.
  • Overall CR: 67%. CR is determined by dividing the hours passed by hours attempted.
  • Students must also be below the maximum timeframe allowed. (see below)

Warning occurs when a student in Good Standing no longer meets the overall GPA or CR for Good Standing at the evaluation point. Previous Butler students that have never applied for Federal Financial Aid at Butler and transfer students, not meeting the criteria for Good Standing, will also be placed on Warning. Warning status lasts for one payment period/semester only, during which the student may continue to receive all types of federal student aid. At the end of the Warning semester:

  • If the student meets the criteria for Good Standing, they will be placed back to Good Standing.
  • If the student does not meet the criteria for Good Standing, they will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension. (see below)

Financial aid Suspension means a student is not eligible to receive any Federal Financial Aid, including student loans, at Butler and must act to re-instate their financial aid eligibility. Suspension occurs when:

  • A student on Warning does not meet the criteria for Good Standing at the evaluation point.
  • A student on Probation (see below) does not meeting the criteria for Good Standing at the evaluation point.
  • A student on an Academic Plan does not meet the criteria of the Academic Plan Contract Agreement. (see below)

Reinstatement: Students on Suspension may be reinstated in the following manners:
  Written Appeal - To complete a written appeal, the student should submit the following:

  • ​Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form – This form is mailed, emailed, and is available for download from the student’s MyButlerCC portal and the Butler webpage. A list of appropriate reasons for appeal and suggested documentation can be found on the appeal form.
  • A written/typed statement explaining why the student failed or withdrew from courses and what has changed that will allow the student to regain eligibility.
  • Appeals must be received by November 10 for the Fall semester, April 10 for the Spring semester, and July 10 for the Summer semester. Appeals received after this date will be considered for the following semester.
  • Appeals cannot be retroactively applied to a semester that has ended.​
  • Written appeals are reviewed by the Suspension Appeal committee and the decision is final. Additional information and/or documentation that was not included in the original appeal can be submitted to the financial aid office for reconsideration. 
  • Appeal Approval is Not Guaranteed.
  • ​​Appeal Decision Notification – Students are notified of their appeal decision by postal mail and can view their SAP status at any time in their MyButlerCC Portal.

Self-Reinstatement or Appeal Denied - If an appeal is not submitted or the appeal is denied, a student must:

  • Successfully complete required courses until they meet the minimum criteria for Good Standing.
  • If an appeal is denied, the student may re-appeal after successfully completing a minimum of 6 credit hours. The hours do not have to be completed within the same semester, but all semesters used for consideration must meet the criteria for Good Standing.
  • A student who is attempting to self-reinstate and has not appealed, may choose to submit an appeal at any time.

Probation/Appeal Granted: Occurs when a suspended student submits an appeal, the appeal is granted, and the student can mathematically be back in Good Standing in one semester, as determined by the Financial Aid Office. Probationary students will be eligible for Federal Financial Aid for one additional semester. At the end of the Probation/Appeal Granted semester:

  • If the student meets the criteria for Good Standing, they will be placed back to Good Standing.
  • If the student does not meet the criteria for Good Standing they will go back to Financial Aid Suspension. The student can appeal again, but cannot appeal multiple semesters citing the same reasons without providing updated documentation. 

Academic Plans/Appeal Approved: Academic Plans may be granted for students who appeal their Suspension and it is not mathematically possible to meet the minimum SAP standards within one semester, as determined by the Financial Aid Office. Academic Plans are individualized and are developed by the Financial Aid Office. They provide further funding on a term by term basis.

  • While on an Academic Plan, a student must have a 2.25 semester GPA and 75% semester CR until they are back in Good Standing.
  • Once a student meets the minimum overall Good Standing criteria, they are no longer on an Academic Plan.
  • Academic Plan Terminated
    * Students not meeting the terms of their Academic Plan will have their Academic Plan Terminated and will be placed back on Financial Aid Suspension.
    * Students who have an Academic Plan Terminated may re-appeal after successfully completing a minimum of 6 credit hours. The hours do not have to be completed within the same semester, but all  semesters used for consideration must meet the criteria for Good Standing.
    * In cases of extreme exceptional circumstances, the financial aid office may approve exceptions and allow students to appeal again. There is no guarantee of appeal approval.

Maximum Time Frame/PACE:
Students who have exceeded the 150% maximum time frame allowed, or obtained a degree or certificate, are no longer eligible for Federal Financial Aid. Student’s may submit a PACE Appeal Form for possible further funding. Maximum Timeframe determination is based on all hours attempted.
   150% maximum Time Frame is measured by the following:
                      Associates Degree: 90 credit hours attempted
                                Certificate A: 24 credit hours attempted
                                Certificate B: 45 credit hours attempted
                                Certificate C: 67 credit hours attempted

  • If the PACE Appeal is approved, one major change is allowed without the completion of the degree or certificate. Few exceptions will be made. Once the major is completed, students may be eligible for an additional PACE Appeal if they are seeking another Butler degree or certificate.
  • Once the degree or certificate is complete the student will no longer be eligible for additional Federal Financial Aid for that specific degree or certificate.
  • Pace Appeals must be received by the last date of the semester.
  • Pace Appeals cannot be retroactively applied to a semester that has ended.

Courses Included in SAP Calculation:
Course Program of Study (CPOS) identifies courses required for the student’s declared program of study. CPOS identified courses are the basis for the SAP calculation for institutionally earned credit. All attempts of courses for the student’s program of study will be used to calculate the GPA and CR regardless of whether or not financial aid was received for those courses. If a student later changes their major, it does not retroactively change the student’s CPOS identified courses for prior terms. All courses attempted prior to Spring 2020, as well as all transfer credits, are included in the overall calculation of the GPA and Completion Rate. Courses noted with a grade of CR and AU are excluded.

A status of WD, WS, or WT will be considered in the completion rate calculation but do not count towards the student’s GPA. A grade of F may not count as hours completed depending on the last date of attendance in the class(es).

Development/Remedial Hours:
Developmental/Remedial courses are any courses below a 100 level. For Financial Aid SAP purposes, grades received for these courses are included in the GPA and CR calculation. This may result in a different GPA and CR than what is reflected on your transcript.

Repeated Coursework:
All attempts of repeated courses are used to calculate GPA and CR. Once a student meets the maximum repeat limit, those courses will no longer count in the GPA and CR. This may result in a different GPA and CR than what is reflected on your transcript.

Incomplete Grades and Grade Changes:
Incompletes and Not Reported Grades (NR) are considered active hours toward completion rate; however, they will reduce GPA. Incompletes that change to a grade will be included in the next formal evaluation period and will not change the current SAP status. Not reported grades and incorrectly reported grades could be used to change the current SAP status. Any other grade changes that occur between evaluation points will be included in the next formal evaluation.

Transfer Credits:
New transfer students whose overall transfer credit does not meet the criteria for Good Standing will enter on Warning. All previous college attempted and completed coursework officially on file will be counted when determining the student’s GPA, minimum CR and maximum timeframe, regardless of whether or not the student received Federal Financial Aid for those hours.

Tuition Refund Appeals:
Satisfactory Academic Progress can still be affected even when students are granted a Tuition Refund Appeal

Scholarships 2024-25

  1. ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIPS: Eligible students are Full-Time, Regularly Admitted, Degree Seeking College Students that have never attended another college since graduating from High School in 2021, 2022, 2023 or 2024. College classes taken prior to your first regularly admitted semester do not affect offering Deans or Presidential Scholarships but can affect future eligibility. Scholarships may be awarded to graduates of either accredited or non-accredited institutions based on their ACT, SAT or GED scores. Graduates of accredited institutions may also be awarded based on their overall high school GPA including at least six completed semesters of high school. The seventh or eighth semester of high school can increase an award for these scholarships, but will not reduce an award. Students must complete 12 credit hours each semester with the required GPA to maintain academic scholarship eligibility. For scholarship purposes, Butler recognizes schools accredited by agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.  A scholarship application is required and available through MyButlerCC by clicking on the “Scholarships” tile. The scholarship application deadline for the fall semester is August 1st, the scholarship deadline for the spring semester is January 1st, and the scholarship deadline for the summer semester is May 1st. This policy affects students that are applying for the first time for an academic scholarship during the 2024-25 academic year. Students that have earned their associate degree are no longer eligible for academic scholarships.
  2. KANSAS PROMISE SCHOLARSHIP: This State of Kansas scholarship program covers tuition, fees, and books for eligible Kansas residents enrolled in specific academic programs. It is a ‘last dollar’ scholarship program that covers eligible charges after all other scholarships and grants are applied. More information regarding the Kansas Promise Scholarship can be found at butlercc.edu/promiseact. You may also contact the Financial Aid Office by emailing finaid@butlercc.edu or calling 316.322.3121.
  3. ACTIVITY/ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS: These are provided by various departments to students who wish to participate in activities such as sports, livestock judging, radio/television, theatre, music, spirit squad, and the Student Government Association. Scholarship selection and award is determined by the activity sponsor or division.
  4. TECHNICAL SCHOLARSHIPS: These scholarships are provided as an incentive for students who could not or would not otherwise enroll in technical programs at Butler. Awards are based on full-time or half-time enrollment. The student must provide other costs themselves. Students can receive this scholarship for up to 4 semesters if they meet the following criteria each semester: 1 Students awarded a full scholarship must complete 12 hours with a 2.0 GPA. 2 Part-time students must complete 6 hours with a 2.0 GPA.
  5. BUTLER ACCESS SCHOLARSHIPS: These limited scholarships are offered on a first-come, first-served basis to any re-entry student who has not attended high school or college courses during the past 12 months, does not have a college degree, and is not eligible to receive a Pell Grant. Students must have completed high school in the United States or received their GED at least 12 months prior to application. The student is required to pay for books and fees; the college pays the tuition for the classes, for a maximum of 6 credit hours. These are one time, one semester scholarships that are non-renewable. Contact Financial Aid for more details.
  6. KANSAS BOARD OF REGENTS SCHOLARSHIPS: The state of Kansas provides various scholarships. Examples: Ethnic Minority, Nursing, State, Teacher, Military, and Career and Technical Workforce Grant. Applications and a complete list of scholarships are available through their website at www.kansasregents.org.

Butler Foundation Scholarships

To apply for academic and Foundation scholarships, apply online at scholarships.butlercc.edu. Students are encouraged to apply early. All Foundation scholarships vary in amount and criteria. Students must have an overall grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale to be eligible to receive a Foundation scholarship. Award notifications will be sent to the student’s Butler email. Visit the Foundation webpage at https://butlerccfoundation.org/, email foundation@butlercc.edu, or call 316-323-6731.

The Butler Foundation is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization that exists to provide support for the college. The Foundation solicits and accepts gifts of cash and other assets including deferred gifts and gifts-in-kind. Established in 1966, the Foundation is governed by a board of directors representing Butler’s service area and is responsible for maintaining donor and alumni information. Disbursements from endowed scholarships as well as annual scholarships are provided to students and administered by the Foundation through the Financial Aid Office. 

Other Sources of Financial Aid

Veterans’ Benefits

Veterans should establish their Veterans’ Administration eligibility prior to enrollment. Contact the Veterans’ representative located in the Registrar’s Office in El Dorado. For more information call the Veterans’ Representative at 316-322-3102.

Bureau of Indian Affairs

The Bureau of Indian Affairs administers programs of financial assistance for Native Americans. To be eligible for assistance from the BIA, a student must be able to prove that he or she is American Indian, Eskimo or Aleutian. An applicant should contact the agency which has the student’s record of tribal enrollment. The Financial Aid Office will work with each tribe on individual funding requirements.

State Assistance

Butler works with multiple state programs to assist many different types of students to overcome a variety of continuing education barriers. 

For more information on any state assistance program, you can contact Accounts Receivable at 316-322-3181 for application procedures and program administration in your area.

Outside Scholarships

Scholarships are available from many different kinds of organizations, companies, churches, hospitals, etc. Some entities have scholarships available for members/employees and their children. Others accept applications from any individual that meets their criteria.

Outside scholarship checks should be made payable to Butler. The student’s name and Butler student identification number should be listed on the check and mailed directly to Butler Financial Aid – 901 S Haverhill Rd – El Dorado, KS 67042.